Chicken Jalfrezi


Sometimes, I really, really miss England. On Sundays, when I suddenly realize that I’ve run out of eggs and all the shops are closed. When I need some headache tablets or cough syrup and the only place that would sell it is a chemist, 20 miles away. When I have to wait 6 months to see the next episode of Downton Abbey or when I just can’t stop thinking about cheddar cheese…
And then, there are curries.
When you’ve been served nan bread filled with Laughing Cow cheese, you realize that France doesn’t have a clue about Indian food. 

(I was not laughing let me tell you!)
I can’t possibly get on a plane every time I want to eat a curry, so I make my own. Admittedly, I feel like I’m living in a curry house as the aromas linger in the flat for several days; but if that’s what it takes that’s fine by me! 
Chicken Jalfrezi is one of the household’s favorite. If you like spicy food, you’re going to love this.

Tried and Tasted Recipe:

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 4 chicken breasts diced
  • 2 tablespoons grated root ginger
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon chilli powder
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 400g chopped tomatoes
  • 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 green peppers cut into large chunks
  • Red chillies
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook until onion is soft.
Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
Add the root ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, garam masala and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes while stirring.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the green pepper and chillies. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes and simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
If the sauce is too watery, uncover and simmer until it thickens.
Season to taste and serve garnished with chopped fresh coriander and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you gave this recipe a try, I would love to hear about it. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions or just let me know what you think about this blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails